Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Waterskiing... best $100 ever spent

Since we went to Utah something like 10 times in 14 months, we decided we wanted to just stay home this summer... and use our boat. The girls are finally old enough to all enjoy it and no one complains about the life jacket. Happy day for me! Samantha went first and got up on the first try. Amazing!
She skied a bit and then it was Arianna's turn. Arianna tried and fell, then tried and fell again. THEN she declared that she did NOT want to ski, only tube. Bennett and I could see clear as a bell that she was just feeling bad that her younger sister had shown her up and she DID NOT LIKE IT. So, like the excellent parents that we are :) ...we insisted that she continue to try until she got up. She tried half-heartedly, which wasn't going to cut it. Naturally, she failed again and what followed was the temper tantrum that will live on in infamy, both with us and probably half of everyone else on the lake that day. Of course, this only made Bennett and I dig in our heels and INSIST that she get up before getting back in the boat. As you might suspect, she was madder than a hornet! I was astounded that she could have a fit so exactly like she did when she was 3 years old! While it used to frustrate me 9 or so years ago, I actually kinda missed it once I saw it again. It sounded and acted just like little "Nanny". She did finally give in and try again. And she did make it up!... and on the very next try after the fit... but she was NOT happy about it.
At the end of her turn, she let go of the rope, slammed her fists on her hips and GLARED at us in the boat. I tried for a picture, but missed it. Darn.

Esther is funny. Bennett has to get in the water and help her get up. Then he gets dragged until he feels like she's ready for him to let go. Esther is no dummy and knows that it's not "really" waterskiing until dad lets go... so she has to turn around so she knows when she's really doing it.
When she knows she's alone, she's free to enjoy... but not until.
This was the second time up for Adele. She was more daring this time and we left Dad 100 yards (or more) behind us. She was a trooper, alternating between scared and happy down the lake, turning around, and back to meet up with Dad. When we got back to where Bennett was waiting in the water, I took the boat out of gear and let her fall. I think she still thinks she "magically" began and ended at the same spot... kinda like a Disneyland ride.
Here's one sad...
...and one happy.
Next, Samantha wanted another turn. She relived the end of Arianna's temper tantrum and I DID get a picture.
Then she added this..
 ...and fell.
Not to be outdone, (and after much discussion about life lessony kinda stuff) Arianna now wanted another turn. (Silly girl!) She wanted to give us a show for a photo... since it was HER pose. She couldn't let Samantha get all the glory on that one. We egged her on with enticements that we'd videotape her for all to see... being the excellent parents that we are.) :) She did it, and here it is...
Good times! Funny coincidence. It cost us $37 for entrance fees... and the ranger came around at the end of the day to tell us that there were 37 minutes until the lake closed. 

Oh, the $100???... that was how much that "Ski Skimmer" cost that our girls ski on. Worth every penny.

2 comments:

  1. Heres the deal: Next summer you HAVE to take us out on your boat. What is the point of having friends with a boat if they don't take you out on it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job girls. So glad you kept trying Arianna. I remember the frustration I felt trying to get up on skis. I think I was in my 20's before I ever succeeded. You all look like you are having so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete